If you’re vegan, you’ve probably gotten the “where do you get protein?” question a number of times.
The truth is it is harder to get a sufficient amount of protein eating a plant-based diet, so that’s why I compiled a list of the best vegan meal replacement shakes on the market that are filled with a lot of the protein and nutrients you need to have a well-balanced diet.
Our Top Picks
Best Overall: Ample V
Best with Greens: Amazing Grass Protein Superfood Powder at Amazon
Best Grain-Free: Sprout Living Epic Protein at Amazon
Best Stevia-Free: Aloha Organic Plant-Based Protein Powder at Amazon
Best Soy-Free: Garden of Life Raw Organic Protein Powder at Amazon
How to choose the best vegan meal replacement shake
Choosing the best meal replacement shake will be different for everyone, and dependent on your individual’s needs and goals. Maybe you just started a workout plan, and you’re trying to gain muscle. Perhaps you’re on a diet and trying to lose weight. Maybe you’re trying to increase your daily protein intake while eating a vegan diet, or maybe you just don’t have time to cook.
When choosing a meal replacement shake, you first need to figure out why you are looking for one. Once you identify your objective, it’s essential to compare nutritional labels. You should be aware of the amount of protein, sugar, fat, fiber, carbohydrates, and calories per serving.
This informational video dives deeper into the nutritional information you should understand before purchasing a shake.
Things to Look for in a Vegan Meal Replacement Shake
In addition to looking at the nutrients in a shake, it’s also important to understand what ingredients are included.
Ideally, you want your product to be mostly composed of natural, non-GMO ingredients. Some of the best vegan meal replacement shakes we’ll list are entirely organic, too. Artificial flavors and sweeteners can have detrimental health effects, so it’s good to limit them in your diet.
It’s also important that there are minerals and vitamins included in a meal replacement shake to supplement your diet. Additionally, depending on your dietary requirements, you may want to know whether a product is gluten-free, soy-free, or nut-free before purchasing.
A lot of people choosing to use a vegan meal replacement shake have busy schedules and don’t have time to cook. These shakes come in different forms. Some are just plant-based protein powders that you need to add to milk, water, or juice to. Others are pre-made mixtures and ready to be drunk upon opening. You should choose a product that will be convenient for you.
And let’s not forget about flavor! I know if I don’t like the taste of something, no matter how good it is for me, I likely won’t consistently eat it. So, this might take some trial and error, or trust in customer reviews, but it’s crucial that you enjoy the taste of your shake. A start is going for products that offer flavors you already know you enjoy.
Benefits of using a vegan meal replacement shake
As I mentioned above, a lot of people simply do not have the time to cook. A meal replacement shake offers convenience to people with busy schedules. Even if a product like this does not replace a meal for you daily, it can be something to have around for those days you didn’t have time to prepare a lunch for work. I know with my busy schedule some days, I need an on-the-go lunch that I can enjoy while typing, driving, or whatever else I might be stuck doing.
It’s tough for anyone to get their daily recommended amount of protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals in, but it’s even harder for vegans. A lot of plant-based food is not dense in protein like it often is in meat. It’s also more difficult for vegans to get certain vitamins, like B12 and iron. A meal replacement shake can help you supplement these nutrients with ease.
Vegan meal replacements shakes and vegan protein powders can also help with weight loss. Hence the name, some people might choose to replace a meal with a vegan replacement shake, which often has fewer calories than an actual meal. Being in a calorie deficit should certainly aid in weight loss.
Other people might use vegan meal replacement shakes to add an additional meal to their day, especially if they are on a stringent workout plan. This extra meal, which is packed with plant-based protein, may assist with muscle gain.
Controversy and some precautions
While vegan meal replacement shakes can have many nutritional benefits, some health experts warn that it is better to get all of your nutrients from a whole foods, plant-based diet. This is because unprocessed food maintains its most natural state. Many processed foods also have harmful additives that can lead to disease and other health problems.
When choosing a vegan meal replacement shake, it’s important to look for products that contain mostly natural ingredients with minimal additives. You should also use these products in moderation. That is do not replace every meal with meal replacement shakes and make sure to be getting at least some of your daily nutrients from whole foods sources.
It would be ideal if we could nourish ourselves with only whole foods, but that just isn’t realistic. Most of our schedules do not lend themselves to the kind of time it would take to do this. More importantly, as vegans, there are certain vitamins, like B12, that we cannot get without a supplement. So, finding a vegan meal replacement that has other benefits is key.
1. Ample V
Ample V is a powder-based vegan meal replacement containing 400 calories, 20 grams of plant-based protein, 23 grams of carbohydrates, and 26 grams of fat per serving. You can purchase an individual meal or a bulk container, which would make up 15 meals.
You can select from a regular or sizeable single-serving bottle depending on your dietary needs. The single-serving bottles are super convenient to just grab and go. All you need to do is add your choice of water, coffee, or milk to the bottle and you have a full meal. I know I would love the convenience of this product when I’m running out the door with 15 things in my hands!
- Made from non-GMO, natural ingredients and contains no artificial sweeteners or flavors
- Contains important minerals and vitamins including B12 and Calcium Citrate
- High in fiber
- Contains organic pea and brown rice protein providing all of the essential amino acids
- Many customers claim it keeps them energized for hours
- Has probiotics to assist with digestion
- Fats sourced from coconut, macadamia nut, and sunflower and 0 grams of trans fat
- More expensive than some other meal replacements shakes on the market
- Only comes in one flavor (berry)
- Some customers complain of a chalky texture
- Not suitable for people with nut allergies
- The higher calorie count per serving may not be ideal for individuals trying to lose weight
Although Ample V is a bit more caloric than some other vegan meal replacement shakes, it is packed full of nutrition and healthy fats to keep you satiated for hours.
2. Organifi Complete Protein Meal Replacement
Organifi Complete Protein is available in vanilla or chocolate and contains 20 grams of vegan protein per 160-calorie serving. This lower calorie veggie protein powder may be a good choice for those trying to lose weight. It also contains 6 grams of fat and 7 grams of carbohydrates,
It comes in bulk containers, which hold 30 servings. If you are looking for a USDA certified organic product with natural ingredients, Organifi would be a great choice. It is dairy-free, soy-free, and keto-friendly, making it acceptable for many different dietary restrictions and food sensitivities.
- Made from organic, natural ingredients
- Contains a digestive enzyme blend
- Contains a complete vegan protein blend made from organic pea, quinoa, and pumpkin seed protein
- Includes MCT oils from coconut, which help to boost metabolism
- Suitable for those following a ketogenic diet
- Customers claim that the meal replacement shakes have a smooth texture and great taste
- Customers claim it curbs cravings
- Low in fat
- Contains important minerals and vitamins to supplement a plant-based diet
- Not suitable for people with seed allergies
- A bit pricy compared to some other meal replacement shakes on the market
- Only available in bulk containers
This meal replacement is lower in calories, carbs, and fats, so while it may be ideal for weight loss, it might not be the best choice for those trying to gain muscle depending on the rest of your diet.
3. Orgain Organic Nutrition Vegan All-In-One Protein Shake
Orgain’s vegan all-in-one shake takes the cake for convenience. This 220-calorie bottle is a pre-prepared meal and contains 16 grams of protein, 6 grams of fat, and 25 grams of carbohydrates. You can choose smooth chocolate or vanilla bean flavor. It is certified organic and non-GMO. It comes in a pack of 12 single-serving bottles.
On the many days, I’m working through lunch. I know this is something I would greatly appreciate having around to just sip on.
- 21 minerals and vitamins
- An organic fruit and vegetable blend
- Smooth and creamy texture with claims of no chalkiness
- Comes in an easy grab and go form
- Customers claim the flavor is good
- Only available in a 12-pack
- Includes 9 grams of added sugars
- No equivalent product in powder form
- Lower protein per serving than some of its competitors
With all of those nutrients, I can also feel no guilt about sipping my way through lunch!
4. Unico GEMINI Organic Vegan Meal Replacement Shake
The cosmic pink packaging on Unico’s vegan protein powder certainly grabs your attention, but the superfood packed ingredients contained in the meal replacement shake should, too! This non-GMO, gluten-free, soy-free, and dairy-free product has no artificial ingredients.
This vegan meal replacement contains 180 calories, 16 grams of protein, 16 grams of carbohydrates, and 6 grams of fat per 2-scoop serving. This low-calorie protein powder for vegans would be a great choice for individuals attempting to lose weight.
- Vegan protein from 3 organic sources: pea, hemp, and quinoa protein
- Includes digestive enzymes and probiotics for gut health
- Comes in 3 different flavors: vanilla, chocolate, and berry
- High in fiber
- No artificial sweeteners
- Customers claim the meal replacement shakes are great tasting added to plant-based milk
- No vitamins or minerals added to make it a more complete supplement
- Gritty texture
- High in carbohydrates
- Lower protein per serving than some other meal replacement shakes available
I must say I wouldn’t mind having this tub of meal replacement shake standing on my counter. First, for its many nutritional benefits and second, for its aesthetically pleasing container. I don’t think I could ever forget to grab a couple scoops on my way out the door.
KiiTO comes in ready to drink bottles containing 200-220 calories depending on the flavor selected. The available flavors are vanilla ashwagandha, chocolate maca, and matcha moringa. You can buy 12-packs or 30-packs in one flavor or a mix of flavors.
KiiTO shakes contain 20 grams of protein, 2-3 grams of carbohydrates, and 13 grams of fat. They claim to be soy-free, preservative-free, dairy-free, gluten-free, gum-free, and non-GMO.
The ingredient list is short, simple, and contains only natural and mostly organic ingredients. For me, personally, it’s very satisfying to be able to quickly scan over an ingredient list and feel confident that I know what every ingredient is.
- No added sugar
- Includes some vitamins and minerals like calcium, iron, and potassium
- Easy and convenient to grab and go
- They claim the different flavors contain different health benefits. For example: ashwagandha promotes strength, stress relief, and hormonal balance
- Low in carbohydrates
- Unique flavors and versatile purchase options
- Simple and real-food ingredient list
- Contains MCTs derived from coconut milk
- Complete protein as it is sourced from pea protein
- Free from any gums
- Higher in fat than some of its competitors
- Does not contain B12, which vegans much take as a supplement
Even if I had never heard of KiTTO and just randomly picked up a bottle, I know I would feel confident that what I’m consuming is healthy and safe. There’s no muddling through confusing ingredient lists needed here!
6. Oxyfresh Vibe Protein Shake
The Oxyfresh Vibe Protein Shake stands out because it contains 7 green vegetables including cabbage, collard greens, cilantro, kale, spinach, watercress, and broccoli. It also contains a wide range of B vitamins, as well as folate. It is free of soy, gluten, and artificial flavors. In addition, it includes 18 amino acids per serving.
This vegan meal replacement has 170-180 calories, 20 grams of protein, 11-12 grams of carbohydrates, and 5-6 grams of fat depending on whether you select the chocolate or vanilla flavor. It contains a macronutrient blend, proprietary greens blend, protein sources, and a vitamin blend.
The Vibe is available in bulk containers, which hold 15 servings. All you need to do is add water, and it’s ready to go.
- Only natural ingredients
- Customers claim the flavor and texture are good
- Customers say it keeps them satisfied and full
- Includes probiotics for better digestion and protein absorption
- A full serving of greens
- Has 100% of your daily requirement for a number of vitamins and minerals including thiamin, folate, biotin, riboflavin, B6, B12, and pantothenic acid
- Made from pea veganes protein making it a complete protein
- Only available in 2 flavors
- Some customers complain that the protein powder is a bit difficult to mix
There aren’t too many bad things to say about Oxyfresh. I mean, a protein shake that also has a full serving of greens? Sign me up!
Soylent offers meal replacements in either powder form or pre-prepared shake form. The bulk powder product comes in either cacao or original flavor and includes 35 meals. One meal contains 400 calories per serving, 20 grams of protein, 41-42 grams of carbohydrates, and 19-20 grams of fat.
Soylent pre-prepared meal replacement shakes come in a number of flavors including banana, cacao, mint chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, creamy chocolate, and original. Each flavor option contains 400 calories and 20 grams of protein, as well as 21-24 grams of fat and 36-37 grams of carbohydrates.
You can purchase the ready to drink shakes online in packs of 12. Something I really like about this vegan meal replacement option is that these drinks are commonly found at grocery stores, convenience stores, and even gas stations in some areas. I know I would love to just grab one and go while I’m stopping for gas.
- Contains 28 vitamins and minerals
- Contains omega-3s, which are especially important to supplement in a vegan diet
- Many unique flavor options to choose from
- Available for purchase online or in many stores
- Many customers say they enjoy the flavors and feel full after drinking a shake
- Not suitable for individuals with a soy allergy or sensitivity as the main protein source is soy protein isolate
- Contains some artificial flavors and sweeteners
- High in carbohydrates
Soylent may be a great on-the-go choice for many people. However, it is one of the few vegan replacements shakes I included here that contain artificial flavors.
Huel also offers a vegan meal replacement in powdered form or ready to drink shake form. You can get either product in chocolate, vanilla, or berry, but the powdered meal replacement is also available in an unflavored and unsweetened option.
Huel’s powdered product contains 29-30 grams of protein per 400-calorie serving. This high protein content is definitely a great option for vegans on a strict exercise regimen looking to gain some serious muscle. This meal replacement shake also contains 13 grams of fat and 45-46 grams of carbohydrates per serving.
The pre-prepared shakes have less protein coming in at 20 grams per 400-calorie serving. They have 19 grams of fat and 37-41 grams of carbohydrates per bottle.
- Contains 27 essential vitamins and minerals
- High protein content
- Contains omega-3s and omega-6s, which benefit your heart, metabolism, energy levels, and more
- Contains probiotics and prebiotics
- Contains MCTs
- Available in protein powder and ready to drink bottles
- Customers claim Huel’s customer service is phenomenal
- Not suitable for individuals with nut allergies
- Some customers say the texture is a bit gritty
Huel is a great option for a vegan meal replacement. Even though the products contain a lot of carbohydrates, they claim that they are released slowly throughout the day providing you with lots of energy.
9. Gnarly Vegan Meal Replacement Shake
Gnarly Vegan Plant Protein is specifically geared towards vegan athletes. It’s a great option for a meal replacement or a recovery shake for active individuals, but it can be used by anyone as it packs a ton of nutrition in just a couple of scoops. It can easily be added to water, vegan milk, smoothies, or anything else you’d like.
These vegan meal replacement shakes come in a powdered form and are available in chocolate or vanilla. It contains 200 calories, 20 grams of protein, 7 grams of fat, and 18 grams of carbohydrates per serving. The vegan protein is derived from pea protein isolate, cranberry seed protein, and chia seed protein. It contains all 9 amino acids, which is important for muscle recovery after a workout.
- Contains 14 essential vitamins and minerals
- High fiber content
- Contains both probiotics and prebiotics
- Customers say the taste is great and there is no grittiness
- No artificial flavors, sweeteners, or colors
- Contains digestive enzymes
- NSF Certified for Sport
- Has a higher sugar content than some of its competitors
- Only available in two flavors
The NSF certification on this product gives me confidence that this protein shake would help keep me energized throughout a workout.
10. Garden of Life Raw Organic Meal Shake
Garden of Life vegan meal replacement shakes focus on natural and organic ingredients. This USDA certified organic product is gluten-free and non-GMO and packs as much nutrition in as possible per serving.
This vegan meal replacement contains 115-130 calories, 20 grams of protein, 8-13 grams of carbohydrates, and 1.5- 2 grams of fat per serving depending on the flavor selected. It’s available in chocolate, vanilla, vanilla chai, and a lightly sweetened option.
The protein in Garden of Life shakes comes from 13 raw sprouted sources, but mainly organic pea protein and organic sprouted brown rice protein.
- Many natural, organic, and sprouted ingredients
- Contains probiotics and digestive enzymes
- Available in four different flavors to satisfy individual preferences
- Can be purchased in different quantities depending on your needs
- Contains 21 vitamins and minerals
- Includes many organic fruits, vegetables, and juices from greens
- High in fiber
- Informed Choice Certified (Trusted by Sport)
- Many not be a sufficient calorie source to replace meals for some individuals
Garden of Life shakes are loaded with nutritious fruits, vegetables, grains, vitamins, and minerals that can nourish and energize you. Just be cautious that you are getting a sufficient number of calories in daily for your body and goals.
11. Vega All-in-One Protein Shake
Vega meal replacement shakes certainly are not lacking when it comes to flavors. It is available in chocolate, chocolate mint, berry, French vanilla, coconut almond, mocha, and a plain unsweetened option. You can also purchase it in a number of different quantities online, and it is available at many grocery stores.
Vega All-in-One shakes are USDA certified organic, non-GMO, gluten-free, and as always dairy-free. They contain 140-150 calories, 20 grams of protein, 8-10 grams of carbohydrates, and 3.5-5 grams of fat per serving depending on the flavor selected.
- Contains Omega-3s from organic flaxseed and organic chia seed powder
- Available in many unique flavors
- Available for purchase in different quantities
- Complete protein blend sourced from organic pea, sunflower seed, and pumpkin seed protein
- Contains 8 vitamins and minerals
- PosContains probiotics for gut healthitive
- Customers say it is great tasting
- Some customer complain that the texture is gritty
Vega’s recipe center gives you tips on blending and baking the protein powder to make it more versatile and nutritious. But you can always just add it to water and have a quick, full meal when you’re in a rush like I usually am!
12. PlantFusion Complete Meal
PlantFusion’s vegan protein shake is naturally flavored with fruits, vegetables, grains, and all the superfoods you could want. It is non-GMO, gluten-free, soy-free, and nut-free. It’s available in two flavors – creamy vanilla bean and chocolate caramel.
This vegan meal replacement contains 200 calories, 20 grams of protein, 7 grams of fat, and 15 grams of carbohydrates. The protein in this shake is filled with amino acids to help with muscle recovery.
- Contains plant-based vitamin D, among other important vitamins and minerals
- Unique protein blend sourced from peas, artichoke, sprouted quinoa and sprouted amaranth
- Contains 4.4 grams of omega fats
- Fortified with digestive enzymes
- Contains a green vegetable blend
- Customers claim it fills them up and energizes them
- Customers say it has a great taste
- Contains no artificial flavors or colors
- Less than 1 gram of sugar
- Only available in two flavors
- Some customers liked the old formula more
I would definitely reach for this vegan meal replacement shake post-workout as it not only has muscle repairing attributes, but also fills you with so many essential vitamins, minerals, and greens.
The Best of the Best Vegan Meal Replacement Shakes
There are a lot of great options for vegan meal replacement shakes on the market today, but Vega’s All-in-One Protein Shake is the best based on some factors that protein shake customers deem very important.
Vega offers a complete protein blend from multiple organic sources, including pea, sunflower seed, and pumpkin seed protein. At 20 grams of plant-based protein and 140-150 calories per serving, this is a great option for both weight loss and muscle gain. Some of the other protein shakes offer the same amount of protein at a much higher calorie count.
If weight loss or muscle gain isn’t your thing, Protein Vega might still be a great fit for you. If you’re just looking for a way to get more nutrients into your vegan diet, this protein shake contains many essential vitamins and minerals. It also contains omega-3s for brain health and probiotics for better digestion.
Last, but certainly not least, the taste of Vega protein shakes is fantastic! This is so important when it comes to a product that you may be drinking or eating daily. The many different flavors offered allows you to change it up so that you’re never getting bored of your shakes. Vega also offers different smoothie and baked goods recipes with which you can add this vegan protein powder to. They go above and beyond to make sure customers truly enjoy their products.
- Do Meal Replacement Shakes Work? My Experience + Facts - July 22, 2020